The Louisiana Bar Foundation (LBF) was reactivated in 1985 to provide leadership and grants to improve access for all to the justice system, including support for civil legal aid to the poor, law-related education, and administration of justice. The LBF is a 501(c)(3) non-profit membership organization. Since 1989, the LBF has administered more than $111 million in grants. The LBF receives revenue through the Interest on Lawyers Trust Accounts (IOLTA) program that was adopted by the Supreme Court in 1985. In addition, the Louisiana Bar Foundation administers funds from the State of Louisiana, private donations, donor-advised funds, collaborative grants assisting multiple grantees, and manages an increasing membership program. The Foundation is seeking a Chief Development Officer (CDO) to provide leadership and oversight of all development strategies and activities. The CDO works with the Board of Directors, CEO/ED, development team and the Development Committee to shape and implement a comprehensive development program to ensure strategic plans and goals are met and to increase effective engagement with the philanthropic community. The CDO supervises an Events & Sponsorship Manager, Membership Manager and Development Coordinator. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic team.
Qualifications and Responsibilities
Education, Experience and Skill
- CFRE preferred;
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field of public relations, communications, marketing, nonprofit management, or business.
- Minimum of 7 years professional experience in development including major gifts, constituent engagement, annual fund campaigns, grants writing and events.
- Proven track record of success in fundraising.
- Strong interpersonal, decision-making and leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team with people of diverse interests and backgrounds.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects on an ongoing basis.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and ability to navigate donor databases and online resources.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Create, plan, and manage successful initiatives for all development strategies including major gifts, planned giving, grants writing, annual giving, special events and projects, and stewardship.
- Provide leadership and direction to the President, CEO, COO, board, development team, Development Committee, and the Regional Engagement Panels in the effective execution of all development activities; provide leadership to strengthen and expand contacts, creating close external relationships with influencers who understand the LBF mission.
- Provide leadership and guidance for campaign strategy, management, and processes, including timelines, objectives, and metrics; monitor progress against goals.
- As the primary liaison to the Major Gifts Subcommittee, oversee major giving by directly working with the CEO, donors and volunteers; identify and pursue new donors and funding opportunities.
- Build and manage a portfolio of major donors and prospects utilizing a systematic approach of personal visits and outreach, including one-on-one relationships; manage the stewardship of LBF donors and acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition.
- Support the board and other staff with major gifts solicitation by providing portfolio development support, strategic counsel and help with donor communications.
- Supervision of an increasing membership, including recruitment and retention efforts.
- Oversight of the statewide volunteer network including the identification, recruitment and training of board members and other volunteers to participate in solicitations and other development activities.
- Evaluation of the systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, including the donor database and wealth screening tools.
- Work closely with senior management team (Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operations Officer, Chief Finance Officer, Chief Grants Officer, and Chief Communications Officer), and other development team members to align all efforts and set goals.
- Work with the Operations Department to build the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the development team in areas including major gifts, annual giving, events, donor relations, grants, and stewardship.
- Demonstrate a passion for the importance and urgency of furthering the LBF mission and civil legal aid.
Compensation and Benefits: Starting annual salary at $90,000 and dependent upon on experience. Excellent fringe benefits.
LBF is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Email cover letter and resume to Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer Donna C. Cuneo firstname.lastname@example.org.
Direct all inquiries to:
Donna C. Cuneo
Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer
Louisiana Bar Foundation
1615 Poydras Street, Suite 1000
New Orleans, LA 70112